1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Suicide Prevention Day

Discussion in 'Sevenoaks Chat' started by West Kent Mind, Aug 21, 2018. Replies: 0 | Views: 50

1. West Kent Mind

West Kent Mind New Member

World Suicide Prevention Day is observed on 10 September each year to promote worldwide action to prevent suicides. On the day West Kent Mind will play our part by holding two free Suicide Awareness and Prevention workshops at Café 1809 in Hildenborough. Places are limited so apply now!

Suicide is a difficult and often taboo subject. However we can all learn how to listen to and help someone who is having suicidal thoughts. Every year, suicide is among the top 20 leading causes of death globally for people of all ages. It is responsible for over 800,000 deaths, which equates to one suicide every 40 seconds. In the UK and ROI, more than 6,000 people die by suicide a year – an average of 18 a day.

Suicide doesn’t end the chances of life getting worse, it eliminates the possibility of it ever getting any better

For anyone interested in learning more about this important subject, the three hour workshops will:

• Raise awareness that suicide is preventable.
    • Improve education about suicide.
    • Tackle the stigma surrounding suicide.

The workshops highlights the importance of listening, dispels myths with facts around suicide, and creates a rare and valuable opportunity to talk openly about suicide. They will be led by Lucy Adams and Sarah Ambrose, both qualified Mental Health First Aid Instructors.

Workshops are on Monday 10 September at Café 1809. The morning workshop is from 9am – 12pm. The afternoon workshop is from 2pm – 5pm. Apply for your free place(s) here!

Suicide Awareness and Prevention application

[​IMG]

“A lot more understanding about suicide and has made me think differently. It has enabled me and given me positive actions to take if I come in contact with the situation”

“A very useful workshop, giving me a better understanding of suicide and how I could help someone and also look out for warning signs”

“Affirmation and confidence to continue to be open and ready to listen and discuss suicide and mental illness. Part of my self-development, this has helped to affirm how far I have come on my own journey”

The post World Suicide Prevention Day appeared first on West Kent Mind.

Continue reading...