1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mollie’s story, ‘My father was a conscientious objector’

Discussion in 'Sevenoaks History' started by Sevenoaks Memorial, Sep 17, 2016. Replies: 0 | Views: 378

1. Sevenoaks Memorial

Sevenoaks Memorial New Member

When I wrote about conscientious objectors in Sevenoaks earlier this year, I tried to convey a sense of how the men who objected and their families were viewed and treated in the town but any personal testimony was difficult to find. In the last week, I have been extremely lucky to find exactly what I was looking for in a book of reminiscences from Somerset.

Mollie Wren was born Ivy Florence Tester in 1912 in Sevenoaks to George Tester (1883-1962) and Emma nee Banfield (18881-1960). Known as Mollie, she married Philip Wren and later in life moved to Somerset. In the early 1990’s, Mollie, along with several other elderly women living in the Winsham area, talked about her childhood memories in an initiative run by the South Somerset Reminiscence Project, the results of which were published, with several of Mollie’s family photos included. Mollie died in 1996 and the couple do not appear to have had any children. Fortunately, her memories are clear and evocative of the challenges her family faced as a result of her father’s stance, as the family were abused, ignored and faced financial hardship.

[​IMG]

George Tester and Emma Banfield on their wedding day

The 1911 census shows Mollie’s…

Continue reading...