1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘The gallant sons of Sevenoaks’ – the story of our war memorial

Discussion in 'Sevenoaks History' started by Sevenoaks Memorial, Mar 11, 2017. Replies: 0 | Views: 226

  1. Sevenoaks Memorial

    Sevenoaks Memorial New Member

    The Sevenoaks War Memorial was unveiled on an autumn day in October 1920 when thousands of local people assembled on The Vine to pay their public tribute to the memory of two hundred and twenty five sons of Sevenoaks, who lost their lives during the conflict. The Sevenoaks Chronicle subsequently noted in its report of the event how every class was represented and had suffered loss, all had been bound together in one great act of sacrifice.

    The Memorial was funded by public subscription, including from house-to-house collections, with individual donations of up to £500. The total raised being £5,663. On the afternoon of the unveiling the memorial was covered with the Union Jack, with the town’s coat of arms. Lord Sackville and the Bishop of Rochester led proceedings and were joined by many other official representatives of the town. The relatives of the men stood in their own enclosure and a boy scout stood at each corner of the mound. Representatives of the VAD also attended as did many of the local churches and other organisations, all gathered to honour their fellow townsmen.

    [​IMG]

    Order of Service for the unveiling ceremony

    The choirs of St Nicholas, St Mary, Kippington, and St…

    Continue reading...
     

Share This Page