1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘I can only say that his men loved him’: Geoffrey Harrison on the first day of the Somme

Discussion in 'Sevenoaks History' started by Sevenoaks Memorial, Jun 29, 2016. Replies: 0 | Views: 596

1. Sevenoaks Memorial

Sevenoaks Memorial New Member

Second Lieutenant Geoffrey Harrison, Machine Gun Corps

Geoffrey Harrison is the fifth and last of the Sevenoaks men that were killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. His great nephew, Sir Michael Harrison, still lives in Sevenoaks and takes an active role in town life as President of the Sevenoaks Society. Sir Michael has written this account of the life of his great uncle, which is included in my book on the war memorial.

Geoffrey Harrison, my paternal great uncle, was born on 8th April 1896. His father was Bernard Bowles Harrison and his mother was Elizabeth Anne Harrison (nee Franks). In the 1901 Census, Bernard Bowles Harrison was described as a Master Printer. At the time of that Census, the family was living at ‘Hurstdale’ in Granville Road, Sevenoaks, a house which was built sometime between 1890 and 1896 and which is still standing today. The family at that time included Geoffrey’s older brother Bernard Guy (my grandfather, who later became Sir Guy Harrison), who was fifteen at the time, and his two sisters Winifrid Madge, then aged thirteen, and Elsie, then aged twelve. Geoffrey was the youngest, aged four. Guy Harrison married Cicely Vicat, sister of Horatio…

Continue reading...